A review by:

Mr. Chan Bing Fai

Former school teacher, Headmaster and educational technologist

Lynn Wong's latest book is SMILE though your heart is ACHING. This is a much awaited book, a worthy sequel to her first book "As Time Goes By" published five years ago. Both her books are generally about life and living. They are not autobiographies.

Her first book is centred more on childhood memories and growing up pains based more on events, observations and her responses and reactions to them, with the innocence of a child. Her latest book, however, is about the adult world with its ups and downs.

It is also about fighting corporate battles.

The words she has chosen carry her thoughts succinctly. They are warm and friendly without being pretentious. The topics included in both her books cover a broad spectrum of subjects and events. Some are more hilarious and many are focused on a more serious note.

Her approach to life is spontaneous, governed by prudence and common sense. It appears lighthearted and easy. Being a keen observer, even trifles, will not escape her scrutiny. Her response to these is largely based on common sense and knowledge; laced with wisdom.

Her thoughts flow through smoothly from one idea to another and the transition is gentle, methodical, tidy and logical. Lynn's philosophy appears simple and yet very profound and thoughtful; gracious and tinged with a lot of human skills and understanding.

Her books are very personal and subjective; unique, highly perceptive, intimate and reflective. I have enjoyed reading both her books and excitedly look forward to her next one which I hope will not take too long to come to fruition.

Her artist -illustrator- is equally talented in bringing out the many encounters and experiences of the author through her drawings; depicting expressions, moods and emotions subtly and with precision. Congratulations to both of you for complementing each other perfectly!

The typography and layout is attractive and designed for easy reading. The book is available in major bookstores.

It is priced at RM27.90.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

LIFE'S DOWNSIDE...

Unbelievable but true.
Earlier this year in January 2012,  I was operated on to remove a tumour - the size of a ping pong ball - in the brain.
According to medical reports it was a life threatening procedure as all such operations involving the brain usually carry huge and high risks.

Strangely, initially there were no distinct signs to indicate the growth except for the irritation caused by my blurred vision!  It was deteriorating rapidly.  Thinking that I needed to change my glasses and contact lens I procrastinated.  As my vision worsen, I blamed it on cataracts!   

You know how it is: postponing seeking medical help because of work commitments and other more pressing matters at hand.  How silly can one get?  But that's me!
I would still have delayed had it not been for my loss of co-ordination.  I couldn't drive nor work the computer.  How much worse can THAT get! 

I had gone totally blind on one eye and the other was fast going as well!
The results of the MRI scan and other tests were worrying.  Surgery was required immediately. 

Five Professors/doctors/physicians were involved to make sure I was fit for surgery and well covered for post medical care.  I must commend this brilliant medical team and am privileged to be under their excellent professional care.

I survived and am grateful to family, friends and strangers/church members (local and abroad) who prayed like crazy!  Thank you all.

In recent months, we had lots of heart-to-heart talks, God and I.
There are many things that happen in my life that I don't understand and it seems God is silent most of the time.  He's not much for talking.

The strange thing is, during the entire time ---from the moment the tumour was discovered and I was operated on, during the convalescence period etc. -- I was not in the least bit fearful.  Most people would be frantic but somehow I remained calm and composed; telling myself to trust and surrender my fate to a loving God.
This tranquility must have come from Him. I cannot explain it.

To this day, the doctors who attended to me (then and now) continue to be amazed.

To God be the glory... 




No comments: