A review by:

Mr. Chan Bing Fai

Former school teacher, Headmaster and educational technologist

Lynn Wong's latest book is SMILE though your heart is ACHING. This is a much awaited book, a worthy sequel to her first book "As Time Goes By" published five years ago. Both her books are generally about life and living. They are not autobiographies.

Her first book is centred more on childhood memories and growing up pains based more on events, observations and her responses and reactions to them, with the innocence of a child. Her latest book, however, is about the adult world with its ups and downs.

It is also about fighting corporate battles.

The words she has chosen carry her thoughts succinctly. They are warm and friendly without being pretentious. The topics included in both her books cover a broad spectrum of subjects and events. Some are more hilarious and many are focused on a more serious note.

Her approach to life is spontaneous, governed by prudence and common sense. It appears lighthearted and easy. Being a keen observer, even trifles, will not escape her scrutiny. Her response to these is largely based on common sense and knowledge; laced with wisdom.

Her thoughts flow through smoothly from one idea to another and the transition is gentle, methodical, tidy and logical. Lynn's philosophy appears simple and yet very profound and thoughtful; gracious and tinged with a lot of human skills and understanding.

Her books are very personal and subjective; unique, highly perceptive, intimate and reflective. I have enjoyed reading both her books and excitedly look forward to her next one which I hope will not take too long to come to fruition.

Her artist -illustrator- is equally talented in bringing out the many encounters and experiences of the author through her drawings; depicting expressions, moods and emotions subtly and with precision. Congratulations to both of you for complementing each other perfectly!

The typography and layout is attractive and designed for easy reading. The book is available in major bookstores.

It is priced at RM27.90.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

LOVE LETTER (2)

(Another letter by the same writer)

Hi Dearest...

This morning was really depressing. I was happily chatting with my friends ONLINE and suddenly I felt the terrible pain in my brain and it started poking like a 1000 needles.  It was really bad.
Why must everyday be like this? I really don't understand. Why can't I be like any other person living a normal life?
But how can I when I have this terrible sickness, the big ‘C’ and slowly dying.   It’s killing  me slowly even before I die.  To have the strength to keep up, the strength to keep going and not give up; it's really so hard.

What keeps me going is thinking of the one I love. YOU!  Imagining you, the one I love standing next to me and smiling. Your eyes, your smiles, .... I wanna be with u all the time and follow u everywhere.  I long for u so much and miss you, my love. And this is the hardest becos I know I don’t have much time left. Can't I be there with you and make you happy? Can't I just be healthy and let me love you normally.  How I wish.. but how can I when I'm in such bad shape?
I know I am dying.

I pray " Oh God... Why you make me suffer like this?  Why didn’t You take me away when I had no one to love? Why didn’t you take me when my life had no meaning?  Why NOW God? Oh God, I don’t want to leave her, not now…..NOT EVER.  Please God, please take away the pain.

Is this the end of me God? Is this the end of my journey? If yes, then I pray you will take care of those whom I care so much. I am thankful for everything you have given me. Even my life as a child that does not get a full love from my parents, but I realise that I love them so much and that I was wrong about them.
Life as a teenager when I have to work all the time to support myself, my family, my education....when other young adults are happy clubbing falling in love and have so much fun together. I never had this chance. Why is life so unfair to me?  

God... If you wanna take me today, take me but let me see the one I love before I go. Let me see her for the last time before You take me into your arms. If I've never had any chance of happiness for the past years of struggling, at least at this last leg of my journey, let me spent the last days with her, the one who is dearest to my heart.
This is my only wish now.

I miss you, Sweetie, so so much.
After I am gone, please take care of yourself, okay?
Always smile.  You have the brightest smile.  Always be strong and always know that I am so proud of you. And even though I'm no longer here with you, I will be the angel to watch over you, always………

No comments: